Saturday 26 January 2008

Into the Wild

I saw this movie at a second attempt this afternoon. My first attempt two weeks ago ended sadly just 30 minutes into the film which was halted when a patron suffered a heart attack and had to be attended by paramedics. I heard later he died the next day.

I am by nature a city boy and not really into the wilderness but this film is very moving. It is superbly photographed and there is not a weak performance amongst the actors. Knowing that the story is true made it very poignant and the family members who were consultants to the producers deserve some credit given that the parents are not portrayed in a favourable light.

Assuming that the film is an accurate telling of the hero's experiences some things surprised me. One is that he remained a meat eater for so long and another that he carried various books around with him adding weight to his pack. Finally, I wonder how the bus he lived in, in Alaska, came to be in such a remote location.

I saw the film at the Chauvel Cinema, an art house twin cinema set inside the Paddington Town Hall (pictured). This cinema is named after Charles Chauvel, a pioneering Australian filmaker.

No comments:

Post a Comment