Sunday 27 January 2008

Memories of Summer

Today is a beautiful summer's day again, the middle day of the Australia Day long weekend. After doing some shopping I went for a walk down the hill to Rushcutters Bay and the park where so often as a young man I visited at night to meet with other gay men. As was the case then the summer days brought out families, couples and the unattached to sunbathe, play ball games and picnic. When I arrived today groups of people were taking the shade of trees to enjoy a lunchtime meal.
Adjoining the park is the Cruising Yacht Club, the home base for yachts that annually sail to Hobart in the Boxing Day blue water classic. As the photo taken today shows the berths were packed with yachts glistening in the midday sun.
Back in the 1970s the less enlightened days when homosexual acts were illegal the park above was a meeting place at night for gay men. It could get very busy late at night. Our meetings there were not without risk. We constantly had to be on the lookout for the police who would enter the park with darkened cars and suddenly turn their spot lights on to try to catch men engaged in 'lewd' behaviour. There were occasional gay bashings and even several murders. Looking back, I am amazed how casually I took to participating in adventures there.

4 comments:

  1. De-lurking here to say that your photos of Sydney remind me a lot of San Francisco. I'm sure the Sydney summer is much more pleasant (read warm) than SF, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The two cities are often compared and having visited SF I can understand why.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey victor, i used to cruise here but only briefly - police raids got me into the saunas and sex-on-premises venues. but there is something about doing it outdoors on a hot summer night!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a younger gay man who missed that era I am always fascinated by the lengths men went to for a little action...

    ReplyDelete