Saturday 22 March 2008

Am I being served?

I visited the local outlet of my telephone service provider whose name I will not mention because they don't deserve the advertising; even negative advertising.

I wanted to purchase a USB connection to download data from my mobile phone to my computer. They sold me a brand name one which seemed to cost an extraordinary amount. My own fault really as with a bit of research I no doubt could have picked up a generic version for a fraction of the cost.

When I got home I found that my computer would not recognise the connection. So I returned to the outlet to report this to the woman who sold it to me. She was disbelieving at first until she tried it on computers in the store. She replaced the cable with one which tested satisfactorily in the store and this cable, thankfully, did work on my computer when I returned home.

This is not the first time a purchase from the provider has been unsatisfactory. I can't understand how they continue to be the dominant player in the Australian market.

Maybe it's because lazy people like me can't be bothered to go through the trauma of changing all our various services over to a competitor.

3 comments:

  1. I enquired a few years ago for the 'brand' cable, they wanted something like $80. My present phone came with one, but my last did not and I bought one at a market for $20.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey buddy...great blog! I wrote about being single for two years:) you'll find someone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrew: that's what I suspected.

    Single Guy: thanks.

    ReplyDelete