Monday 10 March 2008

Our parents

Most, if not all, of the gay bloggers in my favourites list are far younger than I.

I enjoy reading about their journeys of discovery and sympathise with their battles of conscience coming out to family and friends. So many of us in the universal gay family jump the same hurdles, suffer the same fears and hopefully experience the same relief that what was feared need not have been.

It seems that we pass through puberty, bodily changes and urges as though we, or our generation, are the first to have ever done so. Somehow it never seems to enter our head that our parents ever experienced puberty, wet dreams or sexual confusion.

So I am amused when I read a blogger's surprise that a parent has responded positively and supportively to their coming out. Of course there are some who are not supportive and who respond disgracefully but thankfully they seem to be in the minority.

Father (and Mother) may not always know best as in the old televison family show but mostly they know much more than we give them credit for. One thing they do often know best is us, their child.

Long may they love us and we in turn love them.

2 comments:

  1. What a poignant post Victor! My father has carried a lot of guilt for "creating two gay sons." He says this because there is a high percentage of gay and lesbian cousins on his side of the family and felt that he carried the "gay gene." Little did I know that I was giving clues when I dressed as a woman for Halloween at age 11.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you might have given the game away! :-)

    ReplyDelete