Sunday 23 March 2008

Wherefore art thou?

Went to the Art Gallery this morning to see the Archibald Prize. This prize for portraiture dates back to 1921 and seems always mired in controversy. This year experts have argued that the entries in recent years have been bland. Past winners have been the subject of court action with claims that the works have not really been portraits at all.

I am no expert in art, in fact I have no technical knowledge at all. But I enjoy seeing the works. My own tastes are pretty conservative and I tend to prefer portraits that are realistic rather than symbolic or abstract. I would fall into the bland artistic category myself!

One of the side joys of visiting the Gallery for me are the gorgeous looking men who invariably are in attendance viewing the exhibitions. They are usually so absorbed in the works that I can observe them closely without them noticing me stalking them.

This year's winning work can be seen through the link above. It didn't appeal greatly to me. There has been much correspondence in the newspapers arguing that a portrait of Heath Ledger is superior. I liked it better too but it wasn't my favourite either. I preferred at least three other works especially one featuring Maggie Beer and Simon Bryant, two cooks who appear on a local television program The Cook and the Chef.

Anyway, that's just my preference. If I can set my ignorance of art aside and offer a word of personal wisdom it is that art probably wouldn't be art if didn't inspire debate and argument.

Following the Archibald it was a walk through the Domain and Hyde Park to the cinema to see Before The Devil Knows You're Dead. Fittingly passing the Archibald Fountain in Hyde Park (same benefactor) which I photographed gleaming in Easter Sunday sunshine.

No comments:

Post a Comment