Thursday 8 May 2008

A day off...

Thursday is my day off for pursuing chores and also the occasional leisure activities and there has been and still is plenty to do with my day off today.

I started by calling in at my Mum's apartment to clear up some laundry and check for mail. I noticed some of her neighbours participating in water aerobics in the pool (see photo) but these ladies of a certain age spent most of the time in the corner of the pool chatting. Not the most active exercise but I'm sure they enjoyed it.



Next stop was breakfast nearby at The Zoo in Bondi Junction mall. I tend to the same breakfast each time; scrambled eggs, bacon, tomato, toast and a large orange juice. I'm a creature of habit.

By the time breakfast was done, it was business hours and I called in at Medibank Private to claim the cost of Mum's ambulance trip to hospital against her health insurance. This often involves a wait in a queue but I was lucky today and the transaction was completed in minutes.

Back to my car and off to the CBD for my regular haircut. I have my hair cut, or shorn more accurately, every three to four weeks at a cheapie barber shop near Chinatown. I currently ask for zero cuts so I come out of the barber shop looking like Yul Brynner.

Returning to my car I noticed the vehicle (see next photo) parked a few stops ahead of mine. If you look closely, or click the photo to enlarge it, you can see a so called disability parking permit attached to the windscreen. These permits, correctly called Mobility Parking Scheme cards provide parking concessions for people with mobility disabilities. Many of the parking restrictions are lifted for such card holders. There is considerable debate that the scheme is abused by drivers without mobility disabilities seeking to take advantage of the parking concessions.



I wonder though what type of mobility disability the card holder attached to this vehicle possesses? That vehicle is not the easiest to board or alight from even for able bodied people.

With that thought in my head I drove to Rookwood Cemetery. This Sunday is Mothers Day and I visit the cemetery, said to be the largest in the Southern Hemisphere, at this time each year to pay my respects to my maternal grandmother and whilst there to my father's grave as well. I usually make the visit during the week preceding the day because the volume of traffic and visitors at the cemetery on the day itself tends to be overwhelming. It was peaceful at the cemetery today although there were plenty of people at the flower stalls when I stopped to purchase mine.

From the cemetery I drove to nearby Rhodes shopping centre and took in a late morning session of the film Iron Man which has received many positive reviews. I'll provide a separate posting for that film later.

After that movie I drove to an occasional visiting spot of mine for a half hour of badly needed 'monkey spanking' with an acquaintence. Once relieved of that bottle neck (so to speak) I returned home to my internet chores (including this posting) and a rest before meeting up with Mk tonight to see our latest subscription play Tom Stoppard's Rock and Roll which we were to see last Monday evening but for my late return to Sydney from Queensland. I'll do a separate posting for that play later in the week.

2 comments:

  1. That was a busy day, but well organised by the sound of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am interested to know what Rock 'n' Roll was like. Am going to see The Year of Magical of Thinking on Saturday night...looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete