Friday 30 May 2008

Dead start


The day did not start well. My car battery was dead apparently from leaving my headlights on yesterday. I had to call the NRMA to give me a jump start.

I don't recall turning the headlights on yesterday and as I drove home at 4.30pm it wasn't, to my recollection, sufficiently dark to require the headlights to be on. I suppose it is possible I somehow accidentally turned on the lights as I left the car but that doesn't explain why I didn't hear the warning buzzer if the lights were left on.

Anyway the jump start worked immediately and I then drove to work via a scenic drive to Watsons Bay and back in order to fully recharge the battery. This meant I arrived at the hospital fully ninety minutes later than usual. Luckily as a volunteer this slippage in timekeeping is not the issue it can be for paid staff.

The day picked up to the point where I became the flattered subject of a tug of war between two areas each wanting me to work for them from next week. I left the hospital at 3.15pm with the issue still unresolved. The volunteer manager will need the wisdom of Solomon to meet the competing needs of the two areas and at this stage I don't know which of the areas I will be working for on Monday.

3 comments:

  1. Not knowing exactly what the reason may be may lead to a more serious underlying issue. If there was no apparent reason and you know that the hgeadlights were not turned on, or were turned off when the car was turned off (which should have been evident by the audible alarm you speak of), the battery may be on its last leg. How old is the battery? Did they check the life/charge of the battery? I recall my car giving out on me when I was halfway between home and my alma mater and the battery just ended up dead because all its "juice" was gone. Had to get a new battery. Don't want to hear of you being stranded any time soon. :-|

    ReplyDelete
  2. For a moment there I thought you were going to say you were in a tug of war between two handsome men!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Afod - the car is only trwo years old, I think the battery is OK now.

    Evol - in my dreams.

    ReplyDelete