Monday 12 May 2008

Iron Man


I saw this movie last Thursday encouraged by positive reviews and the participation of Robert Downey Jr, whose acting I admire. As an aside, how old do you have to be before you no longer are known by the 'Jr' tag?

Robert Downey Jr plays a genius armaments entrepreneur living the lavish and irresponsible lifestyle who is kidnapped whilst in Afghanistan and forced to produce missiles for the enemy. He uses his genius to escape and takes on the new double life of super hero and 'good guy'.

I'm a bit tired of these super hero films and found the Spiderman series quite dull. However I agree with the reviewers to the extent that this film is a cut above the recent offerings in this genre. This movie has a stronger screenplay and the benefit of Downey's acting skills. An almost unrecognisable Jeff Bridges also contributes strongly. Its computerised 'geewizzery' is extremely well done and I have to say the Iron Man suit looked surprisingly sexy to me.

The movie is not without some dull moments too but if you must see a super hero movie you can do a lot worse than making this the one to view.

2 comments:

  1. Is this a genre of film that normally appeals to you, or are you seeing these superhero movies as a devout movie goer? I loved Iron man as well and 2 of the 3 Spider-Men and X-men movies, but both 3rds were crap and I can't mention the FF, Hulk, Daredevil or Superman movies without throwing up in my mouth a little. However, I am a comic book geek so I usually get at least a little rush seeing these characters brought to life on the big screen, even if I have to ignore the plots, block out the dialogue and just focus on the characters moving in costume.I would imagine many of these films are harder to abide if you don't have the comic book geek gene.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Breenlantern - I'm not a comic book geek but I am certainly a devout moviegoer. Sometimes the two intersect very nicely.

    ReplyDelete