Saturday 17 May 2008

Passing glances....

Most gay men know about the look.

The look is that subliminal message you send to another man or if you are lucky another man sends you. It's all in the eyes and the message can be complex.

'I'm interested' or

'I'm interested in you, are you interested in me?' or

'I'm interested, have you someplace to go?' or

'I'm interested but I only have ten minutes, what about you?' or

'I'm desperate, will you take me!'

And all sorts of other messages too, all of them saying in one way or another that I'm gay and I hope/think you are too.

Having spent more than 45 years in a gay life (yes I started young) you'd think I would recognise the look instantly when it is aimed at me, particularly at my age when 'invitations' are scarcer and especially when made by a much younger man.

Yet, I missed two golden opportunities in the past two days; at least I think I did.

Yesterday a young dark haired man appraised me with his eyes at the local shopping centre. He wasn't as absolutely stunning looking as the Brazilian model in the photograph above but he was in the same neighbourhood. I was so not expecting to be given the come-on by someone like him that I was slow to react. Actually I reacted more like a stunned mullet. Opportunity lost.

Then this afternoon, I think I was given the come-on again in the car park of my apartment complex. This time it was a very pleasant looking man in his 30s with an inviting, friendly smile. Perhaps he was just being polite but it took me a crucial moment to realise (or was that 'hope') that I was being given the look. In any event, a second opportunity lost as I failed to give him the return look and he disappeared into the building. I suppose there is some chance with him if he is a new resident in which case I might bump into him in the future.

I really need to improve my reflexes.

2 comments:

  1. As you say Victor, you lose your touch a bit. As an older gay man, it doesn't happen very often and you get used to being invisible. Still, it is nice when it happens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stop being so hard on yourselves - there's something very suave and distinguished about older men. I'll take George Clooney any day!

    ReplyDelete