Wednesday 14 May 2008

Smother

After visiting my mother on Mothers Day I went to see Smother the story of a wacky mother who deposits herself on her son and daughter in law at Halloween after her husband has an affair.



Diane Keaton plays the mother. I rather like Keaton, although I'm not certain about her acting skills as she always seems to present the same characteristics on screen regardless of the role she is playing.

Her first appearance in this movie is dressed as a pumpkin. It's all downhill after this. The dialogue seems to have been written with three year olds in mind and indeed is delivered by the actors in a style you'd expect of kindergarten teachers speaking to their charges.

This is a comedy but I didn't laugh until five minutes from the end during a funeral scene in which the eulogies run riot. I couldn't recommend anyone paying full cinema ticket prices to see this unless you like seeing cute dogs which perhaps were included when it was realised the film isn't funny.

There is one moment of interest early on for gay voyeurs like me when Michael White who plays the nerdy cousin Myron (what else!) appears in a tight Halloween outfit with his package clearly outlined. (If anyone is interested, he dresses to the right.) It was such an odd moment I kept expecting to see some reference to the scene later in the movie but that never occurred.

No comments:

Post a Comment