Sunday 8 June 2008

The automatic Ned Kelly


An ATM robbed me today.

I inserted my card, keyed in my withdrawal instructions, accepted my card and bank statement recording the withdrawal and then waited for my money to appear. None did.

I won't name the bank but if you want a clue just look at the photo above.

So there I was on busy New South Head Road, Edgecliff at 12.45pm on the Sunday of a long weekend with the adjacent bank branch not due to reopen until 9.30am Tuesday. I was not happy.

I called the bank's card service on my mobile phone. There must be few more annoying situations than standing by the side of a busy and noisy road, fuming and wading through endless recorded messages, including how the bank values your patronage and privacy, to report to a human operator that the bank has just robbed you.

Thankfully the operator who took my call was not the usual officious voice on automatic pilot. Whilst there was nothing she could do to provide me with an instant remedy she handled my call patiently and sensitively.

I now have to wait for the dispute notice the voice initiated to work its way through the system and for my account to be re-credited with the phantom withdrawal.

This is the second time one of this bank's ATMs has shortchanged me. On the previous occasion, an ATM issued a $20 note in place of the $50 requested. The adjacent branch was open at the time and I was able to report the error immediately to a teller. The teller was incredulous at my claim telling me their ATMs don't make mistakes. He dealt with my complaint much in the manner that I was Ned Kelly come to rob his bank. I had to wait until they audited the ATM overnight to confirm the shortfall following which I received a grudging apology and my money.

To think that we pay fees for this 'service'.

1 comment:

  1. Such has happened to me (just once) and to friends. The answer is always the same: wait for the ATM to be audited and its overage (your shortage) to be discovered. Frustrating.

    Mark :-)

    ReplyDelete