Saturday 7 June 2008

My preferred foot...and other life options

The day started with my podiatrist appointment. My preferred podiatrist, Tm, was not on duty this morning and I was 'serviced' by Va. She is a bright and personable young woman but Va has not yet learnt that I don't visit the podiatrist to be insulted. Her comment today that my heels 'are as dry as a desert' was undoubtedly correct but totally unwelcome.

Tm would never have said something like that to me. He would have stuck to safe subjects like football, cricket and my weekend's ironing. Plus Tm has the added appeal of providing me with an ever changing view of his enticing crotch snug in his tight trousers as I look down at him attending to my tootsies.

I recovered from Va's assault with breakfast in the Bondi Junction mall and then drove to Hunters Hill for my Saturday morning visit with my mother at her nursing home. She snoozed in her lounge chair for the entire hour that I sat with her not waking even to drink the tea and eat the delicious smelling cake that had been delivered to her side for morning tea. I held her hand for the hour whilst reading my current book, John Elder Robison's 'Look me in the Eye'.

On my way home I stopped off for a quick cruise and struck it lucky. Thus relieved and rejuvenated, I decided I should detour to Centennial Park for a walk. After all, I needed the exercise and the preparation for my forthcoming trip to NW Australia.

I parked my car just off the Grand Drive and started the walk at 12.20pm. Initially my mind was its usual state; a blank. But then I started to think about my preferences. Not my sexual preference, because I consider that to be my orientation more than just a choice, just as I am left handed by orientation not simply because I feel like it.

Why, for example have I always preferred clockwise motion to anti-clockwise? I was walking around the park in a clockwise direction. In fact most people were doing the same, although some people were being different (or deviant?) by doggedly pushing against the tide doing their walk in the anti-clockwise direction.


My thoughts then turned to other preferences.

Why have I always preferred even numbers to odd numbers? I have no idea but I have thought this way since childhood.

Why do I like banana as a flavour (banana cake, banana essence, banana milk shake) and yet rarely eat the actual fruit because something about its texture makes my skin crawl?

Similarly, why am I happy to have mushroom sauce or gravy with a meal but then balk at eating an actual mushroom whose taste makes me feel nauseous?



Anyway these thoughts filled my mind until I came across the attractive red headed youth (above) walking with his lady friend. Walking behind this Adonis banished all other thoughts from my mind, rejuvenated me for a second time in a couple of hours and gave me the necessary impetus to finish the walk back to my car.

My walk was completed at 1pm at which moment I felt very happy with my preferences, my orientation and my lot.

2 comments:

  1. I totally relate to your banana preference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like you, I enjoy the flavor of (cake, essence, milk shakes) but rarely eat the actual fruit. For me it is definitely because of its texture.

    Mark :-)

    ReplyDelete