Sunday 22 June 2008

The Orphanage


In this Spanish film a married woman, her husband and seven years old son take up residence in an old Orphanage where she was raised as a child. The son has a set of imaginary friends. Or are they imaginary?

I love Spanish films. The female characters are always strong and the images are usually striking.

This is a classy thriller. Music and sound are used effectively to create a sense of doom and the settings are appropriately mysterious.

This is the best fun I have had feeling eerie and uneasy in a long time.

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this film too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to place my jacket near my eyes the whole movie - that's how good it is.

    And the whole cinema screamed when the old lady did what she did...You already expect she would be planning something dodgy but it still caught people off guard. Brilliant.

    The young Simone is very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Evol - yours and others recommendation led me to see it.

    Alfred - it was very well done.

    ReplyDelete