Tuesday 29 July 2008

Hospital vigil (again)


The nursing home called me this afternoon whilst I was working at the hospital to inform me that my mother's blood pressure had fallen to 80/50 and that she had been 'unresponsive' for a while but was 'OK now'. I was then told an ambulance was called to take her to Ryde Hospital. This is where my mother was hospitalised last February when she suffered heart and kidney failure.

I raced to the hospital arriving at the Emergency Department before the ambulance even though the nursing home is much closer to Ryde Hospital than is my workplace hospital. I spent five hours at the hospital before returning home.

The upshot of all this is that my mother is suspected to have suffered a small stroke. There is no visible evidence of this apart from one pupil being enlarged compared with the other. Further tests will be taken tomorrow.

Although the doctor told me tonight my mother 'could go either way', I am encouraged that sitting with her tonight she was relaxed, cheerful, alert to her surroundings and talking her dementia gibberish as usual.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear that. Hopefully, she will get better soon. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heartfelt prayers sent your way for your mother's recovery.

    ReplyDelete