Sunday 14 December 2008

A heady night was had by all...


Friday night was supposed to be my adventure trip to Kings Langley for dinner with 'the boys'. Against my better judgement I had agreed, rather than driving myself from home, to travel by train with some of the others and then be collected at Blacktown station to be driven to the restaurant. I would have preferred to have control of my own travel, especially for the return journey, rather than to have to rely on the others but I couldn't be bothered arguing the point.

On the Thursday, I started to develop a head cold with a runny nose and sore throat. I was worried that I would have problems attending Priscilla that evening but somehow managed to get through the performance on lozenges without disturbing others sitting around me.

I worked at the Hospital as usual on Friday although my symptoms steadily worsened during the morning. If any of the admitting patients that morning had procedures cancelled because of sudden cold symptoms then I offer my silent apologies. By the time I returned home at 2.30pm I was feeling pretty shitty.

I still intended to go to the Kings Langley dinner but I was worried that the weather (heavy rain, cold and wind) would only make my condition worse having agreed to travel there by public transport and therefore exposing myself far more to the elements than if I were in my car. I telephoned Ne half hoping the dinner might have been postponed but it was going ahead. After some discussion I decided against attending the dinner and asked Ne to pass on my apologies.

That night I drank copious quantities of tea with honey and lemon and then it was off to bed. I usually sleep naked summer or winter preferring to let my bits and pieces dangle unencumbered as I toss and turn through the night but this night I wore a warm sweat top to counter any draughts and hoped to sweat the cold out overnight.

I had an interrupted night. I felt hot all night long and also had to get out of bed a number of times to piss all the tea I had drunk earlier. When I rose Saturday morning I was still symptomatic but clearly feeling better.

Staying home was the better option.

3 comments:

  1. Glad you're feeling better. Colds are a pain, but summer colds are the pits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you are feeling better and getting ready for the approaching Summer. I think you made the right decision to stay behind. Both for your sake and your friends' sake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wcs/afod - thanks, i'm fine now.

    ReplyDelete