Wednesday 8 April 2009

The Doctor's Bargain


Sorry to focus on illness but having been largely house and bed bound for four days there is not much else I can blog about at present.

On further thought I suppose I could report about bleary eyed television viewing of daytime shows like The Ellen DeGeneres Show, The View and The Bold and the Beautiful but what can I say? Well now that I'm on this tangent I could say that I rather like Whoopi Goldberg on View who clearly doesn't take the show as seriously as some of her panel mates and even more interestingly doesn't think very highly of some of those panellists. That brings a nice edge to proceedings. Ellen is fun although her interviews aren't especially revealing of her guests but her quick dry wit is a pleasure. And as for B&B seeing Brooke arguing with Stephanie and about to marry Ridge (or are they already married yet again) is not much of an advance on story lines when I first came across this series twenty-two years ago.

But back to the Doctor. The earliest appointment I could get for him yesterday was 3.45pm which was far later than I hoped for. My doctor always seems to be running late and by that time of day I fully expected him to see me 45-60 minutes late. To my amazement and, I think, the first time ever he called me in right on time. After the usual prodding and poking, breathing in and out and coughing for his entertainment he pronounced that I had a slight temperature, something or other that I didn't decipher on the throat and other sundry chest related complaints.

He has prescribed a week's worth of antibiotics and possible side effects of nausea and diarrhoea.

Great. I went in with one complaint and he sent me home with the possibility of two others. What a bargain.

2 comments:

  1. That's why I never go to the doctor's Victor!

    BTW, I was chatting to a man who looked like Whoopi Goldberg at the weekend. He wasn't too pleased when I pointed this out to him....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard that eating yogurt with active cultures helps to replenish some of the good things that antibiotics kill - so it should help with the diarrhea at least.

    ReplyDelete