Monday 6 April 2009

Seafood...sun...sand...sickness

Fs was up from Canberra for the weekend and we had lunch yesterday with Bn at the Watsons Bay Hotel. It is a stunning location for visitors to Sydney, the small bay dotted with colourful maritime craft in the foreground and the city skyline and Harbour Bridge in the distant background.

We were particularly lucky with the weather which after a week of grey rainy days was sunny and quite warm, ironically as yesterday was the first day after the end of daylight saving time and winter is around the corner. Indeed today is much cooler, windy and wet again.

Lunch itself wasn't anything special. I've always thought the reputation of the food outlets at the Bay rested more on the location and view than the actual quality of the food. Nothing seems to have changed there.

After lunch we wandered down the Bay and across to Camp Cove located just inside the Southern Heads of the harbour entrance.

As a child my parents brought us to Camp Cove on weekends during the summer months where we would spend close to ten hours each day burning away in the sun. Camp Cove is also the place where I lost my cherry at a very young age but that is another story.


There was a group of divers at the western end of the Cove one of whom had a stunning body but sadly I wasn't game to photograph him directly.


Although we had an enjoyable day I had woken feeling off colour and gradually felt worse during the afternoon. By the time I returned home I had a bad dry cough and pains in the lower back. I took my usual medication for those symptoms, lemon tea with honey and was in bed by 8.30pm.

I am feeling better this morning but will stay at home and try to get over the symptoms altogether.

8 comments:

  1. Camp Cove. What an appropriate place to lose your cherry, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe the beach got its name AFTER Victor lost his cherry there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrew - the irony didn't escape me.

    Evol - very droll. By way of interest Arthur Philip landed there on 21 January 1788 before continuing on to what became Sydney Cove.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for the photo of Camp Cove I haven't seen since 1969.
    a group of us were lolling in our swimmers and I swear this is true - Bon Scott came along the shore dressed completely in black leather.
    He knew some in our group and they exchanged all that "G'day man" stuff, and he kept going.
    bizarre.

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmmmmmmmm Victor, you are holding a few things back here, including the proximity of Camp Cove to "Lady Jane's" which I suspect of more than a little complicity, if only by reason of propinquity (Henry James word, for me, anyway) in the soon-to-be (if you take the bait) legendary loss of your reputed (that is, if ever) "cherry"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brownie - for some reason the concept of wearing only black leather at Camp Cove doesn't seem that odd!

    marcellous - my 'deflowering' was so long ago that it was well before I even knew of 'Lady Jane's' and certainly long before nude bathing would have been legal there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. With all this "popping of cherries" and "deflowering", I'm curious to know how these terms came about.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Firehorse - maybe some erudite reader can enlighten us. Alternatively, a Google project?

    ReplyDelete