Thursday 30 April 2009

Stephen Spielberg...I am not

It is time that I broadened my range of blogging skills so yesterday I embarked on a test run of creating a video for downloading to this blog of mine.

I don't have a video camera but my Canon Digital IXUS70 camera has a basic video facility which I used to create a simple video which I saved to my PC. Then, using the steps spelt out in dialogue box below, I attempted to download (or is it upload, as the box informed me) the video into a post that I intended to publish.


Five times I attempted the video download and five times it failed. Several times a message informed me that contact couldn't be made with Blogger and the other three times the 'upload wheel' spun around seemingly forever until eventually a failed message appeared.

My video opens in the Windows Video format on my PC and I assumed it's format would be acceptable to Blogger. But maybe it isn't?

Can any readers help me out?

7 comments:

  1. Victor, I got no idea - its just too difficult to keep up with such things - I am still finding new buttons and what they do on my calculator! - when you figure it out, please let the rest of us know!
    Michael.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may need to "export" your video to a compatible web format, which includes compressing it down to a size that blogger will accept. If the file's too big, it'll either be rejected outright or will take so long to upload that it might crap out before finishing.

    Do you have Windows Movie Maker? You should, if you're running XP or a newer version of Windows. That'll do the export to web function for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beer. And lots of it.

    Hmmm... that's my answer to everything lately.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WCS beat me to it...try exporting to your computer first then saving as a quicktime file or "saving as" a webstream compatible video type...then try uploading to blogger..w.arning...no matter what size/type file it always seems to take a long time to upload to blogger, so be patient.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with the above, it sounds like you need to compress your movie file first. I use a Mac to do mine, so I'm not familiar with the process on a PC, but what WCS and Breenlantern suggest sounds about right. Have you tried looking up advice in Blogger's help section?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I put a video file on my blog once, of some moving cranes. How exciting, not. Transferred from the camera to the pc and then uploaded to blog. It worked fine. Is the file over 100mb? If not, then it is a Blogger fault, not yours. My camera is a Canon. No idea of the format of the movies it takes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What would be easier for you and it's what I did on Blogger and do on Wordpress...I upload my videos to Google and use Google as the host...just like those who use YouTube.

    ReplyDelete