Friday 8 May 2009

Necropolis

I always try to visit my grandmother's grave around Mother's Day (this Sunday) both for myself and on behalf of my mother who no longer is able to make the visit to her mother's burial site. My grandmother's grave is at Rookwood Necropolis; also the resting place of my father. In time it will be the final home for my mother and myself too. The name Necropolis always makes me think of Dracula for some reason but it is the formal name of what is commonly referred to as Rookwood Cemetery.


(The old Rookwood Mortuary Station)

I try to avoid making the visit on Mother's Day itself because that is the busiest day at Rookwood with crowds resembling what you might expect at a football grand final. It is not surprising considering that Rookwood is one of the largest burial grounds in the world covering 283 hectares (700 acres). Established in 1868, more than 800,000 people are interred in the grounds.

I drove out after finishing work at the hospital at 3pm. Friday afternoon peak traffic may not be the smartest time to make the trip but it was still worth the crawl out and back rather than battle the numbers that will visit on Sunday.

I left flowers on both graves.

When I see Mum on the weekend I'll tell her about the visit but as is pretty always the case nowadays the information will mean nothing to her but I will know that the visit has been on behalf of us both.

3 comments:

  1. Some day you'll know what Mum appreciated that you did. May you have a blessed time with her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though she may not show it outwardly, I'm sure your mother appreciates everything her son does for her.

    ReplyDelete