Thursday 18 June 2009

And on the first day...it rained

So it was off to the airport this morning and my first decision was whether to call for a taxi or walk down to the railway station and take the two trains to the airport.

It has been raining on and off for days in Sydney, sometimes heavily, and the forecast was for more heavy rain this morning but at the time of my departure it was brilliantly sunny. So my decision was to train it. That proved to be a mistake.

My wait for the elevator was longer than usual because someone else was using one for furniture removals and the other seemed to be reserved for the apartment block's cleaner. Then when I finally got downstairs I met a neighbour in the driveway who chatted with me about the amount of rain we had received.

Those two 'delays' were enough to have me moments later in the street, with no shelter, drenched by a long and heavy shower. If only I had called for a taxi which I could have boarded without a drop of rain falling on my tender body.

Never mind. Eventually I made it to the first train and although dripping from the rain the advantage over taxi travel was the sight of all those cute office workers in the carriage. Taxi drivers are never that cute. Change trains at Central for the Airport line and less cute office workers on display but enough eye candy in the form of travellers to satisfy.

And now I am in the Qantas lounge again taking advantage of their free internet access, food and drink. My birthday trip is underway.

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're off to an exciting start already. Next we'd like a run-down on any cute airline staff!

    Have a fantastic trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday for Saturday Victor. Enjoy the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday for yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday for yesterday Victor. I hope it was a great day for you and the rest of the time away is fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone. Am on my way back to Sydney and will post about the weekend shortly.

    ReplyDelete