Saturday 13 June 2009

Ruben Guthrie


Toby Schmitz plays Guthrie, a whiz kid advertising executive living the high life. When his fiancee leaves him after one drink and drug fuelled antic too many Guthrie turns to sobriety only to find greater challenges from his parents, friends and employer.

This was a far darker comedy than I was expecting and clearly resonated with the youthful audience members who were far quicker than I to pick up its musical and drink related references. Put that down to my age and being a non-drinker. Then again there were references to old jingle and advertising campaigns that were instantly recognisable to me. Put that down to my age too.

Schmitz's performance is impressive and as always he is very easy on the eye.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't heard of this movie. Must be in limited release at this time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No Steven, it is a play written by an Australian, Brendan Cowell.

    ReplyDelete