Monday 1 June 2009

State of Play



A mugger and an innocent bystander are murdered and in an apparently unrelated incident a political staffer dies in the Washington subway. Of course in thrillers such as State of Play not everything is what it seems.

The story twists and turns to the very end as journalists Russell Crowe and Rachel McAdams chase the leads in a scandal that threatens to drown rising politician Ben Affleck and his estranged wife Robin Wright Penn whilst newspaper editor Helen Mirren applies corporate pressure.

I haven't enjoyed a thriller as much as this in a long time although I must admit that the story is dense and the twists so tortuous that I was left scratching my head at the end. Despite that, this well acted piece was worth the effort.

2 comments:

  1. I also found it dense and somewhat convoluted. I think I fell asleep at a crucial moment which would have helped my understanding of the plot! Someone was telling me that series it was based on was well worth seeing.

    ReplyDelete