Saturday 27 June 2009

An unexpected turn


It appears I picked up a middle ear problem on my flight back from Brisbane.

I developed a terrible sense of instability and felt as though the room was rolling around me and that I was tumbling over. I called the ambulance who reached my home within about five minutes and after an initial assessment took me to St Vincents Emergency Department. (By the way, the assessing ambulance man was very cute but I was in no state to take enjoyment in that.) I was admitted to St Vincents at 5am on Thursday and after CT scans, X-rays and other tests was assessed as suffering Disequilibrium. I was placed in the Strokes Unit for monitoring although there was no belief that I had suffered a stroke.

Unfortunately, my hospitalisation meant that I had to miss meeting with Andrew during his Sydney visit which was a disappointment for me.

I have improved and was discharged from hospital this morning but I am still reeling like a drunken man when I walk. I will see my GP on Monday for further assessment and advice.

7 comments:

  1. Oh my. Here's hoping it's nothing serious and you'll be back to your old self again quickly!

    And I didn't mean "old" they way you took it...
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get this (vertigo) due to a condition called Labrynthitis, an inner ear inflammation. It is treated with Meclazine which is found in Dramamine. The first 3 days are the worst and then it takes about a week or so before it all really goes away. I hope yours dissipates quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, you poor love. I hope the GP has something in store for you to set this all straight (well, so to speak). In the mean time take this as a good excuse to rest up and take it easy... would you like me to peel you some grapes?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you're resting up Victor! Wishing you a speedy recovery :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you are ok now. It was quite pushy of me to suggest we met at a certain time at a certain place but it is not all about me. I have another person to consider. Next time we visit Sydney, meeting you must be a priority.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "...but I was in no state to take enjoyment in that." But you were in a state to take ADVANTAGE of that. ;-) Glad to hear that you are feeling better and that it was not anything more serious.

    ReplyDelete