Tuesday 25 August 2009

It was good


There were no naked men at Sy's funeral but I'm glad that I went.

I left Sydney at 7.30am and the drive was slow in the morning city peak and then quite speedy once outside of Sydney's limits. Very strong gusts of wind buffeted the car but otherwise the journey was uneventful.

The turn out at the Crematorium was large with the mourners overflowing the Chapel into the cold wind outside. Luckily the visiting Sydney contingent was early and we were snuggly inside the warmth of the Chapel. I caught up with old friends I hadn't seen for years, some of whom I have only had contact with for many years through the annual exchange of Christmas cards.

Mt, who took me under her wing when we were posted to London in 1974/75, was as mothering as ever and we resumed chatting and gossiping as though it were an ongoing weekly coffee shop routine.

One of the elderly mourners mistook me for Sy's son following the service and came over to console me over his death and to reminisce about past times. I didn't have the heart to correct him so just nodded in appreciation.

Following the service I made a quick detour over to DFAT for coffee and a sandwich with Da before making the trip home. My pre-trip prediction of a round trip drive of 7 hours proved to be spot on and I was home at 6.10pm.

4 comments:

  1. It took me far too long to work out what that pic had to do with your post.

    GLad it went all went ok.... well as ok as a funeral can be really.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's me all over, Ben. Obscure to the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ....I still can't work out how the picture relates!......

    ReplyDelete
  4. Evol - nice to see you can post a comment again. The photo is from the movie 'Death at a Funeral'.

    ReplyDelete