Thursday 6 August 2009

Radio Daze


Sydney's radio stations all broadcast their breakfast programs from Martin Place this morning to promote the introduction of digital radio.

I listened to a few of the stations on my non-digital receiver and they were all busy promoting the joys of this 'wonderful' service. Enthused by this marketing ploy I checked the Sydney Morning Herald's 'Guide' which this week reported on various digital receivers noting their pros and cons. Nothing could be less encouraging than that report.

All the receivers are expensive. Whilst that wouldn't necessarily deter me from purchasing a unit the fact that almost every receiver reviewed contained failings ranging from poor screen scrolling through weak output to one that barely produced a digital service(!) means that I won't be rushing to sign up.

I'll wait until there is more digital product on offer, the receivers are of better quality and the price is more reasonable.

(Sorry, James.)

2 comments:

  1. I heard one advertisement for $149 and I thought maybe if I had a coupon for $120 off...
    The pause and rewind feature like they have on a DVR is nice but I think I'll skip being an early adopter on this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Victor, I'll try posting again. For whatever reason my last post didn't make it through. Anyway, was just gonna say I'd personally hang out for a few months as I think the radios are too expensive at the moment, and the next generation, which isn't too far away, will have better screens and wifi access also. I personally would hang off too. James

    ReplyDelete