Thursday 27 August 2009

Yeah/No


I wonder how faddish forms of speech develop?

Listen to a sporting star or 'celebrity' being asked a question. For example, 'don't you think such and such about this and that?' and it's fascinating how often nowadays the response commences with 'yeah/no'.

What an odd expression. Is the responder agreeing or disagreeing with the question? In fact the responder is almost always agreeing with the proposition put to them so why don't they say 'yes' rather than 'yeah/no'?

Is this only happening in Australia?

2 comments:

  1. It is an odd one, used I think as thinking time. Even professional broadcasters use it. Yeah, (i have heard what you are saying and thinking), no, (I am not just going to say yes). Then it becomes habit. I doubt it occurs anywhere else. Really came from left field. Normally I would hate such a thing, but given it is often used by sportsmen, I have grown a bit fond of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is not exclusive to Australia. It frustrates me to hear this in America, too.

    ReplyDelete