Tuesday 8 September 2009

Inglourious Basterds


In World War 2, a small band of Jewish American soldiers, under the leadership of a menacing Brad Pitt, is trawling occupied France searching for Nazi scalps (literally). Meanwhile the deceptive Christopher Walz revels in his nickname of the Jew Hunter as he tracks down Jews who have escaped the Nazi occupation net.

These and several other story lines inevitably intersect in Quentin Tarantino's cheerful and fanciful re-writing of history as depicted in Inglourious Basterds.

Cheerful may not be the best description given the occasional gut wrenching scenes of violence but the interesting and unusual structure of the film completely won me over after some initial reservations during it's early moments.

Inglourious Basterds is basically five long scenes, each containing a twist and exquisite moments of tension.

I suspect the film also contains many references to movies of the past but all of these went over my head. Nevertheless once I got into it I really enjoyed the film's style and tempo.

A memorable film.

3 comments:

  1. I had a look, but I can't find it. Danny Katz, a back page writer for The Age, and of course he is Jewish, wrote and amusing piece about seeing the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Andrew - I found it (through Google, of course) http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/glorious-hours-of-basterdy-20090902-f8db.html?page=1

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still have to see this one. I always enjoy his movies.

    ReplyDelete