Saturday 12 September 2009

The September Issue


It is common wisdom that 'the devil' in The Devil Wears Prada was modelled on Anna Wintour, Editor-in-Chief of Vogue. The September Issue is a documentary that follows Ms Wintour as she and her team prepare the September 2007 issue. Apparently it is this issue each year which is the magazine's blockbuster and obviously each year it must be the best ever.

I had read that what The September Issue reveals is nothing like what was portrayed in 'Devil' but I'm not so sure. To my mind there were many undercurrents on display in the documentary that feature, albeit in exaggerated form, in 'Devil'.

Pretty well everyone is deferential to Ms Wintour and I was bemused to see so many, including very big names in the fashion and photography fields, reluctant to express any opinion in her presence until hers' was revealed to them. Even her strongest staff member, Grace Coddington, expresses most of her critical opinions out of earshot of the all powerful Ms Wintour although to be fair it is clear from Ms Wintour's closing comments that Ms Coddington is no shrinking violet in her presence.

I found the documentary more interesting than I was expecting and was surprised by how much "cut and paste" work goes into the magazine even in this computerised age. The issue's cover girl, Sienna Miller, must have burning ears from the comments Ms Wintour et al express about her hair, teeth and neck. And then there is Mr Talley (I think that's his name) whose manner and dress are obviously designed to set him apart but are so outlandish as to make him a stereotype.

And one final (bitchy) comment from this gay man who claims no fashion sense or awareness whatsoever. How come Ms Wintour wears what looks like the same necklace almost every day?

3 comments:

  1. I'm liking the new look Victor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the sneak peak. This afternoon, I'm going to see this. I'm excited for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Makes me remember something I once heard: why is it that all the people who are designing and creating and selling outlandish fashions to the rest of the world always wear simple, basic black? If they can't even wear their own stuff, why should we?

    Black is the new black.

    ReplyDelete