Monday 26 October 2009

An Education


Carey Mulligan plays a sixteen year old completing her schooling in the early 1960s and dreaming of going to Oxford University who meets a dashing older man, Peter Sarsgaard, who provides her with An Education beyond that which for which she has bargained.

The pre-Beatles dawning of England's swinging 60s is nicely recreated. Sleepy eyed Sarsgaard mostly plays men of dubious character and it is not a spoiler to suggest that this older man pursuing a school student may not be what he seems.

Mulligan oozes personality and intelligence beyond her years even as she undergoes her unexpected life education.

3 comments:

  1. I'm really intrigued by this film, and hoping to see it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Evol - it walks a bit of a tight rope I feel but I liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't heard of this. I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

    ReplyDelete