Monday 12 October 2009

Valentino The Last Emperor


The documentary Valentino The Last Emperor spends a year following the life of fashion designer Valentino Garavani and his long time partner, personally and commercially, Giancarlo Giammetti. It also provides glimpses into their forty five years long association and careers.

I'm not really into the lives of the overly tanned, leather faced individuals bearing out moded aristocratic titles who populate much of this documentary but have to admit they contribute to much of the humour on display.

I would normally have little tolerance for the antics of the highly strung Valentino and the comparatively sensible Giammetti and was surprised that by the documentary's end I had a sense of respect and admiration for the designer, the beauty of whose womenswear designs is evident even to a fashion dullard such as myself.

My bravery award goes to the reporter who asks Joan Collins 'what is the difference between good taste and trash?'

1 comment:

  1. I watched this a few weeks ago and enjoyed it. Had the same thoughts as you. I loved the Joan Collins part but now I can't remember her reply. LOL. I think it was witty.

    ReplyDelete