Tuesday 19 January 2010

Good times and bum times, I've seen them all...

(* "I'm Still Here", from Follies, Stephen Sondheim)

I saw my doctor this morning to renew my prescriptions. No problems for me to report to him but it is that time of year for him to organise a series of annual tests to determine my overall state of health.

He - or at least his heavily pregnant assistant - checked my blood pressure, weight, body fat and also put me through an ECG. Blood pressure was excellent and Doctor expresses he is 'very happy' about that. Bully for him; it's my blood pressure. Weight a little bit up. Not so happy now, he knows how hard it is to lose weight as you (that is, me) get older and, heck, he was once over 100 kilos. Again, bully for him, I have never reached 100 kilos. I must eat smaller portions he informs me in a serious tone and cut down on pasta, rice and noodles. These, of course, all are favourites of mine.

ECG shows my heart is working well. So there!, to those former lovers who thought me heartless.

Then on to the blood tests. He issues me a referral for sufficient blood tests to meet the needs of a battalion of men. Discreetly he ponders should he include tests for my sexual health? Sheepishly I admit an absence of sexual activity since my previous testing to warrant an update in that area. Embarrasingly, my admission appears to be no surprise to him.

Oh well, I suppose he is familiar with the senior variety of the gay species.

And, I'm still here.

5 comments:

  1. And here for a long while yet. Love the new banner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great banner Victor! Although I don't know Sydney very well, it does have some jaw dropping natural beauty which is always great to see. Bit like the vista behind Prince William on the news today - what a great image of Oz to beam around the world, even if it does make us in Melbourne feel a bit left out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Should have just taken the test and left the GP guessing about just how debaucherous his patient might have been. Btw...I think the banner is a real hit. Makes me want to go to the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to all. The banner is a cropped version of a photo I took at lunch last week of Bondi Beach as seen from the Icebergs Club balcony.

    ReplyDelete