Thursday 15 April 2010

'I'm tired of castles in the air'*

(*'Castles in the Air' by Don McLean)
Well no, I'm not tired of them really.

Arriving in town early for my appointment with the solicitor I sat for a while on the Mezzanine Level of the Queen Victoria Building and enjoyed the sights of the lunching patrons, shoppers, tourists and those striding purposefully through the shopping arcade.

If you click on the photo to enlarge it the dome of the QVB is visible through the skylight to the right and to the left you can see the skyscraper of The Galleries Victoria across the road.

The QVB, opened in 1858, was actually built during the reign of Queen Victoria whereas the TGV, it's near namesake across the road, is very much a late 20th Century construction. Perhaps the latter should have been named The Galleries Elizabeth?

2 comments:

  1. Clever photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was in Queen Victoria Building in Christmas 2009. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete