Monday 28 June 2010

The Secret in their Eyes

This year's Academy Award winning Best Foreign Language film from Argentina , 'The Secret in their Eyes' was a contentious selection, local critics believing that Germany's 'The White Ribbon' and France's 'A Prophet' were both superior. I have no opinion on this having not seen the other films but I did enjoy 'The Secret in their Eyes'.

Set over twenty-five years with much of the story presented in flashback the film is ostensibly about the search for the murderer of a young woman and for justice. In this alone the Spanish language film presents as an interesting and well told thriller. But the film is also about relationships, friendship, sacrifice and love and these intertwining themes have been constructed in a stylish manner reminiscent of 1940s cinema with it's close ups and slanted camera angles.

A retired court investigator revisits a case of the murder of a newly married young woman. Who did it? Was the real murderer found? Was justice served?

Whether or not it's competitors were more deserving, this is a fine film in it's own right.

(By the way, this is my 1,000th post. I never imagined when I started blogging that I would reach this mark.)

2 comments:

  1. hey victor

    been hunting down movies at gay torrents (straight and gay) so very glad of a pointer to one i've not heard of - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope to see this film this weekend as it finishes soon. I saw 'White Ribbon' which was excellent. Shall let you know what I reckon.

    ReplyDelete