Sunday 20 March 2011

Stop the printers!


The economics of modern technology has me baffled at times.

My printer started giving me error messages this week. It told me that it couldn't find the cartridges. I checked and rechecked and the cartridges were securely and correctly in place. The little cartridge gauge that looks like a thermometer assured me that both cartridges contained sufficient ink for printing. So why couldn't the printer locate the cartridges?

I played around with the cartridges yet still they remained undetected by my now recalcitrant printer. What to do? Each cartridge cost about $35 the last time I had to purchase new ones; that is, about $70 for the black and white and the coloured cartridge set that drive my printer when it happens to locate them.

I wasn't too happy at the thought of purchasing two new cartridges without knowing whether my printer would be receptive to them. Yet here is the peculiar, but in this case fortuitous, anomaly. I could purchase a new printer of the same brand and with all the same features and with the necessary cartridges all for the grand sum of $48.

OK it did mean that I had to take ten minutes out of my life to set up the new printer but otherwise I now have a new printer doing all the things that the old printer did and with fresh cartridges all for $22 less than the cost of the two cartridges alone.

Go figure!

4 comments:

  1. The problem is that the cartridges that come with a new printer are 'display' cartridges.... they only contain about 10% or so of the ink quantity supplied in a true "replacement" cartridge.

    People think they are getting a great deal when they buy a new printer, but they are not

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to say as Pippa did. But in your case when you were doubtful whether the issue was empty cartridges or a faulty printer it was a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I assume the printer is cheap because they expect to sell you a cartridge later, a bit like giveaway mobile phones. A & P's comments fortify that assumption.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pippa, marcellous & Andrew - I take that point about the 'display' cartridges. It still makes the printer very cheap compared with buying new cartridges for an occasional, low level print user like me.

    I must concede that the new printer is very plastic in construction compared with the previous printer which seems far more substantial.

    ReplyDelete