Thursday 3 March 2011

Witness for the Defence


I have unexpectedly found myself to be a potential witness for the Defence.

Two individuals are suing the state of New South Wales for wrongful arrest and other grounds dating back to 1999. My name has come to the notice of the Defence Barrister upon discovery of notes I wrote in 1999 and 2000 for my then employer following meetings with these individuals to hear their plans for an enterprise which subsequently was thought to involve fraudulent activity.

The first I was aware of this legal action was around 9.30am on Tuesday and less than four hours later I was in the Barrister's Chambers being questioned for an hour about my recollection of events twelve years previous. Unlike what I see in the movies in such situations where witnesses seem to have the most astonishing memory of events long gone, the most common answer I had for the Barrister was 'I don't recall'. During this questioning I started to wish I had Marcellous by my side for guidance.

I doubt, should I be required to appear in court, that I will provide as stunning a witness as Marlene Dietrich but then again she was a witness for the Prosecution and her evidence was concoted by Agatha Christie.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So you won't get to say 'Wanna kiss me ducky'. What a shame. You would have done it so well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrew - I probably could manage a better cockney accent than Marlene.

    ReplyDelete