Wednesday 9 March 2011

Young crushes

Andrew's posting on 'man crushes' brought back memories of my gay childhood crushes on the characters in a number television sitcoms or rather on the cute young actors who portrayed those characters.

Perhaps top of the list was Don Grady who played Robbie Douglas, the middle son of 'My Three Sons'. As a single child - and already knowingly gay - the thought of a life with two brothers was simply exhilarating especially if one of them was a Don Grady.

Don Grady

Maybe wishing for two brothers was too much so I would have been satisfied with one, an older one, particularly an older one like Tony Dow who played Wally Cleaver, the older brother in 'Leave It To Beaver'.

Tony Dow

In those days I also had this strange secret desire to be Donna Reed but only as she was as the 'typical' wife and mother in 'The Donna Reed Show' not as the naughty lady who did adult things I didn't quite understand in 'From Here To Eternity'. I especially wanted to lightly traipse up and down the stairs of her family home in a pretty frock the way she did in every episode.

Donna Reed in typical wife and mother mode lovingly attending to her cute family
I no longer have any desire to be a Donna Reed or any of her successors but if there are any cute 60s aged successors to Grady or Dow.....

2 comments:

  1. A big tick to both of them and thank you for not showing present photos of them. Donna Reed always wore high heels around the house. It should be compulsory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always dreamed of wanting to have the sexy Tony Dow in my bed!back in those days! to meet the real wally that is!but I never wanted to be Donna Reid maybe Doris Day...lol
    Thanks for the memories Victor.

    ReplyDelete