Saturday 20 August 2011

Senna


I enjoy watching a wide range of sport especially when it involves the best competitors in their field but I have never had any interest in motor racing or boxing. Ironically then, it is these two sports that have generated documentaries that I have really enjoyed. The boxing documentary is When We Were Kings about the 1974 heavyweight championship bout in Zaire between champion George Foreman and underdog challenger Muhammad Ali; a film that completed changed my opinion about Ali.

And now there is Senna about the Brazilian Formula 1 champion Ayrton Senna. The documentary is comprised completely of archival footage and I was amazed how much footage there is of Senna away from the race track. It is a fascinating story of an intelligent, fearless, perhaps foolhardy, young man and his rivalry with the French world champion, Alain Prost. It is also an eye opening introduction to the politics of a sport about which I know very little.

The fuzzy images are a bit hard on the eyes at times but otherwise this is an excellent documentary.

No comments:

Post a Comment