Tuesday 18 October 2011

This blog is open to invited readers only

I've been blogging for nearly four years now and in that period have diligently followed many dozens of other blogs that I have found interesting for a variety of reasons. In that time, a handful or so of those blogs have suddenly gone under computerised 'lock and key'; denied to me for evermore.

I can understand someone deciding to close down their blog and notify that decision in a blog post. I can even understand someone losing interest in blogging who stops blogging without notice, although this is disappointing and a bit worrying when you are not certain whether the author is OK.

What I haven't yet become used to is the blog that overnight is restricted without prior notification or explanation. This has happened in a number of blogs I frequented. I have no reason to believe that in any of those instances the restriction has been directed specifically at me and yet for some reason I feel hurt when I have been locked out.

The blog that I have followed the longest and which sparked my own decision to start blogging has just gone private. No notice. No explanation. No invitation for me to access it.

I'm probably being unduly sensitive and a bit soft for feeling slighted but why is it that some bloggers suddenly and without notice 'privatise' their blogs? Isn't the point of blogging to publish in the public domain where readers, casual or regular, will visit whether by design or accident?

8 comments:

  1. I also did this a few months ago when confronted with a freaky/stalkerish post. I decided instantly it was time to close of my blog, and did so for a few days. After a few days I realised it was HE who had the problem, not me and opened it up again to the public. I've been fairly open on my blog for almost ten years now, though I don't share everything. Using my own name makes me, from time to time, think twice about how much I should share. I suspect the person you've described may have had a similar experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Harden up sweetheart. It is not all about you. I experienced this years ago, and I expect also like you, the blog I was reading meant something to me. I have since learnt that the blog was closed down, not restricted for invitation. But I can't help but wonder what the blog was that started you blogging. Tell me privately if you like. Hmm, I did not even notice that James shut his blog down. Perhaps because I only catch up on blogs via a reader, he was just MIA for a time. While there is a lot to be said for having an anon blog, eventually you become known as your anon persona, so you may as well have started off as your real self.

    ReplyDelete
  3. James, interesting point and perhaps a reason to go confidential in some of the cases although the premise doesn't fit what I perceive about this latest blog whose 'closure' prompted my post.

    Andrew, yes, I am just a softie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Same here, Victor.
    I also feel upset whenever a blog that I enjoy suddenly goes private.

    I wish the author would at least announce it in advance and provide contact detail so I can ask for permission.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't worry about it Victor. He seems very frustrated about his personal circumstances.. I suspect he just needed a break. It might even be a good thing for him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been getting the same message lately to a public blog, they didn't go private. It's something up with google and it's very aggravating!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It has happened a few times to Mike Smith's political commentary.
    He did not go "Private" Google closed him down. Amen.
    Google got googled themselves!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. is it possible to invited into a blogspot?

    ReplyDelete