Monday 10 October 2011

Who's up for a bit of hygiene?

A friend told me yesterday about an Internet site for digitalised copies of Australian newspapers which sounded interesting. Given my love for the cinema I thought I would check out what movies were screening on the day that I was born in 1949.

At this point I digress to record that I have memories from my childhood of the Savoy Cinema. It was an unusual cinema screening what we nowadays would call Art House movies although I don't recall the term being in use in those days. The Savoy tended to screen French and Italian movies in their original languages with English sub-titles. I recall that the cinema had curtains with the Eiffel Tower emblazoned across them. The Tower would part in half as the curtain parted for screenings.

I investigated the Internet site and tracked down the Sydney Morning Herald for the day of my birth.

'The Three Musketeers' was screening at the St James. 'The Life of Riley' was showing at the State. The Regent was screening 'Johnny Belinda' and although it was late June the Lyric was still screening 'Easter Parade'. There were plenty of other screenings which I won't bother listing here but then there was the Savoy. What was the Savoy showing? Well, here is the advertisement in it's full wording....


SAVOY - "SECRETS OF LIFE" - NOW!
EXTRA SESSIONS FOR MEN DAILY AT 11 15 AM
NOW SHOWING A Sex Hygiene Film for segregated audiences Sessions
Daily for Women and Girls 14 and over at 2.15 pm and 6 pm Sessions Daily
for Men and Boys 14 and over at 11.15 am and 8.30 pm On Stage at all
Sessions ELLIOTT FORBES noted Hygiene Commentator from the U S A on
The Secrets of Sensible Sex. Reservations for all Sessions up to 6 days in
advance at the Theatre (BW1333)

What more can I say?

2 comments:

  1. I think I could say rather a lot, but I shan't. Snigger. It's not your birthday is it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were different times, weren't they, Andrew. No, it is not my birthday.

    ReplyDelete