Monday 9 January 2012

Put a Jaffa in it, will ya!

I've been going to the movies for close to sixty years. A lot has changed about the movie-going experience in that time.

As a child, most of the sessions we attended were double features.


Two full length movies one either side of an intermission. The first feature would usually be of inferior quality (B-grade) with slightly below top draw stars.

If the session wasn't a double feature then the pre intermission offerings might include newsreels often containing news that was weeks old. There seemed to be two main news providers.

Movietone News
Movietone News seemed mostly screened by the Hoyts network of cinemas and often came in an Australian edition that featured Kookaburras emitting their call in the titles.

Pathe News
Pathe News seemed the preserve of the Metro network of cinemas and was a more refined presentation than it's Movietone counterparts seemingly reflecting it's European, as distinct from North American, source.

The pre intermission presentations often included a cartoon.


Tom and Jerry was very popular.

A comedy or two would be thrown in for good measure.


The Three Stooges would provide zany, ostensibly violent comic behaviour or there might be


Laurel and Hardy with their comically sad escapades.

By far the most boring featurettes were mini travelogues set almost invariably in the seaside villages of US states like Maine or New England which without exception included scenes of fishing trawlers with birds overhead to indicate a catch.


My parents and I laughingly called these featurettes, which one had to endure before seeing the real feature, 'fish stories' even though they generally had little, if anything, to do with fish.

As a child my neighbourhood movie house was the magnificent Metro Kings Cross. It was a beautiful art deco two level cinema, originally a live theatre venue called the Minerva, with plush red covered seats and a special glass fronted room where people with hearing difficulties could sit to view the movies. I believe the architectural style of the building is referred to as 'streamline moderne'.

The cinema had a reincarnation as a live theatre venue when Hair was first staged in Australia in 1970. The Metro has not operated as cinema or theatre for years. It still stands in Kings Cross but I think it is used as recording studio nowadays.

The Metro today is a heritage listed building
The behaviour of patrons today is very different from my childhood. When I was young it was thought a great joke to roll Jaffas down the auditorium and giggle at their sound. Of course this would result in an usher shining their torch at you and threatening your eviction from the cinema. Great fun also was had shouting insults to friends sitting elsewhere in the auditorium.

Jaffas

Mostly though, the patrons would sit in the dark in awed silence watching the miracle of the moving picture with it's accompanying sound to the very end when the curtains closed imperiously. That would trigger an immediate rush for the doors to beat the playing of the National Anthem, otherwise you had to stand there paying respects to the distant monarch whose visage we only ever saw in those newsreels, newspapers or wall photographs.

Nowadays there are no double features, no fish stories, no zany short feature comedies or weeks old news items. Just a seemingly endless stream of advertisements and trailers before the one and only feature begins.

Oh and there is no more sitting with respectful silence to the end either. At yesterday's screening of Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows there was so much movement of people in and out of the auditorium during the feature that I started to keep count of how many times certain people in the packed cinema made the trek to and from their seats. At least five people went more than four times each. My companion Cs noted the same phenomenon commenting as we left after the movie that he assumed some of them must be drug dealers!

6 comments:

  1. I stopped going to the movies long ago. I think I've been to a movie theater three times in the past ten years. The experience is horrible, as you described. I think people feel that the theater is an extension of their living rooms and they're permitted to behave as if they were at home. And I never have an unobstructed view of the screen thanks to hairdos and hats (worn inside). I just gave up paying for a bad time.

    Most of the movies I see are on the satellite cinema channels or DVD. Needless to say, I'm always a few years behind in my movie watching, but that doesn't bother me at all.

    I just realized I sound like an old fart. If the shoe fits... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I don't go too often, I enjoy the ads and the trailers (must see that when it comes, and then we don't). There was a government anti eckie one yesterday, but the market was of the wrong age.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wcs - I'm an old fart too

    Andrew - I enjoy the trailers too, often they prove to be the best part of the movie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interminable advertisements - I have to admire Andrew's capacity to enjoy them. Mine is severely compromised by the sense that I am being imposed upon. The only relief is to join in heckling of the odd objectionable ad. The one about the Commonwealth Bank being your bank comes to mind (well, it used to be our bank until the Government sold it), as well as the touchy-feely ads where we are meant to feel good about the mining industry making super profits because (one ad) they employ a young indigenous man whose mother hopes great things for him and (another ad) a woman manager who (counterfactually, given the present increase of fly-in-fly-out) extols the virtues of the mining industry as a regional employer.

    The other night when I went to the new Tintin film at Hoyts Broadway, the advertised session starting time was 8.50. The feature did not start until 9.20.

    At least they have numbered/assigned seating there, so I suppose the moral for future visits is to book in advance, arrive at least 20 minutes after the advertised starting time and be prepared to evict people from one's seat if the cinema is so full as to require it. Not a step which I would relish given the absence of any ushers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marcellous - I know how you feel, those ads are especially hard to take when you go to the movies as often as I do.

    Hoyts & Greater Union (or Event in their new guise) are shockers for the length of their pre movie material. That is why I prefer the Randwick Ritz (cheaper too) and the Art House Dendy and Palace Cinemas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just to comment about ads, I rarely watch commercial tv and if I do, I take little notice of ads, so they are a bit of a novelty to me.

    ReplyDelete