Saturday 25 February 2012

The Temperamentals

(New Theatre)

Each year at this time the New Theatre stages work with a gay theme or connection in recognition of Sydney's Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras period.

This year's work is The Temperamentals. I have to admit that until now I was unaware that 'temperamental' was a slang term for homosexual. I don't know whether that term ever applied in Australia but evidently it did in the USA, at least in the 1940/50s. Nor had I heard of the Mattachine Society organised to press for the rights of sexual minorities.

This play is about those involved in founding the Society. Regrettably I'd never heard of these people either. Five actors portray five of these individuals as well as a host of others, the only one those peripheral characters known to me being the American director Vincente Minnelli.

I can't say that I found this to be an exciting work; in fact it was somewhat boring and unfocused in it's first half. There was much unnecessary moving about of bar stools that was highly distracting. The second half was better mostly I think because the focus improved with just a couple of the plots highlighted. Thankfully the bar stools were given a rest after interval.

I could have done without the preachy style of the play.

The five actors did well each performing multiple roles.

No comments:

Post a Comment