Tuesday 26 March 2013

I have nothing to wear

In the lead up to our recent holiday in South America and since then with a female friend travelling half way around the world on the Queen Mary 2 conversation turned to clothes. In short, my female friends, looking to buy travel worthy and fashionable clothing bemoaned the paucity of suitable items for women of their age.



Like me, they are in their early to middling 60s. What particularly annoyed them was their perception that the men's clothing stores feature such a huge range of clothes. 'You (that is, men,) have it so easy' they have shouted at me more than once. Yes, they literally shouted.

Well, the irony is that I see it the same - but in reverse. All I see in those multiple floors of women's fashion is an endless array of choice for my lady friends.

My lady friends say - ahem, shout - 'there is so much menswear on offer and it is all beautifully laid out for your selection' (accusing fingers pointed in my direction).


No, I reply in vain, probably shouting too. It is all a mirage. Once I discount items that do not suit me because of colour, fit, size and/or inappropriateness, what I am left with by way of choice is very limited indeed.

Cliches come to mind; you know, glass houses and green pastures and the like.

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you there Victor, not to mention shirts & pants that say slim fit. No need to remind me,I hate that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An invisible army of us Disco, men and women alike.

    ReplyDelete