Saturday 8 February 2014

Inside Llewyn Davis


A musician struggles to maintain an income and establish himself as a performer.

'Inside Llewyn Davis' is a film for the folk song aficionado and or those who remember fondly the transition to the 1960s. I wasn't especially interested in that type of music although I recognise some of the numbers and enjoyed most of those performed in the film. Whilst I grew up in the the 1960s I was still (barely) a pre-teen in 1961 when this film is set.

For those familiar with the folk scene there are probably many references that went over my head although I did catch obvious references to artists such as Peter, Paul and Mary and to Bob Dylan. My, who accompanied me, also noticed characters that probably were a pointer to June and Johnny Cash; not that I identified them but I guess there were numerous others.

Oscar Isaac plays the lead character and he appears in every scene with support from some very interesting performing talent in cameo roles.

There is some wry humour but this film from the Coen brothers is one of mood rather than plot with its darkish, palid sequences in settings that are claustrophobic.
★★★1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment