Sunday 17 August 2014

The Hundred-Foot Journey


An Indian family with a background running restaurants in their home country decides to try their luck operating a restaurant in France immediately across the road from a hatted French restaurant. Culture, not to mention cuisines, clash in 'The Hundred-Foot Journey' a romantic drama set in an impossibly picturesque French village.

A high powered production coalition including Steven Spielberg and Oprah Winfrey no less is behind this film which I suspect is the reason for casting Helen Mirren as a Frenchwoman. Mirren does well as usual but I suspect box office power rather than logic is behind that casting decision.

It is romance by numbers and the twists and outcomes are rarely a surprise but the cast and the images are sufficiently appealing to make this an enjoyable if slightly overlong treat. The food looks simply superb and for that alone I have added half a star.
★★★1/2

2 comments:

  1. I know nothing. But the movie was discussed over a dinner out last night and I thought it was one I might like to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew, the ABC's Margaret and David were a bit dismissive of this film. I thought their assessment was a bit tough.

      Delete