Sunday 28 December 2014

Roadworks

I suppose there is no perfect time to close off roads for works in a big city like Sydney. Holiday time might seem a good idea although I would think that Christmas/New Year might not be the best time when the works in question surround a busy railway station like Central Railway.

That's what confronted me tonight when Mt and I went to collect Ll and Fd from their train. For some reason they travelled from Brisbane by train this time rather than aeroplane which they normally use. They just wanted to try the train they told me when I asked. After fourteen hours on a train which ran out of food and water and the toilets malfunctioned the answer to whether they would do it again was a predictable 'no'.

Country Link train

But my problem was gaining access by car to the station itself. My usual access point was blocked by a wand waving man in overalls and two alternative access roads were blocked by similarly garbed men. Signs diverted me five blocks north, then two blocks east, then three blocks south, then one block east, then two blocks south and two blocks west to where a finally arrived at a point where I gained access.

In case you were wondering, the eventual access point was the one I was turned away from in the first place.

Sheesh!

2 comments:

  1. 14 hours is absurd for such a distance. The details just makes me feel so sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Their account made it sounded like a horror trip, Andrew.

      Delete