Thursday 2 April 2015

Dior and I


Anyone who has met me will attest that I am no 'fashionista'. A pair of shorts and a plain black t-shirt are 'de rigueur' for me. My own fashion sense, or the lack of as others would claim with justification, does not explain my interest in movies about fashion.

'Dior and I' is at least the third documentary feature length film I have seen and I have enjoyed them all. In this film the past and present intertwine with images of and quotations from Christian Dior in the 1950s mingling with the arrival from Belgium of the latest(?) head designer Raf Simons and his 'right hand' Pieter. Raf and Pieter have just six weeks to assemble their first haute couture
show.

By the way, I felt vindicated in my dress sense by the appearance of Raf who mostly is only marginally less casual than I.

A highlight is the generous time given to acknowledging the significant work of the various seamstresses (and one male seamster(?)).
★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment