Sunday 6 September 2015

The Archibald

The Archibald Prize is a very Sydney event. Awarded every year it is a Portraiture competition 'preferentially of some man or woman distinguished in arts, letters, science or politics painted by any artist resident in Australasia'. The winning portrait is often universally panned by the general public and has at times been the subject of legal protest.

I can't recall a year when I agreed with the judges' verdict but then what do I know about art? As the hoary old response goes, I know what I like. Usually I don't like their winner.

As always the winning portrait attracts plenty of attention. This year's winner mysteriously entitled Judo house pt 6 (the white bird) is a portrait of controversial Barrister Charles Waterstreet. I couldn't get a clear view of the accompanying narrative which may (not?) have thrown light on the title.

Nigel Milsom's 'Judo house pt 6 (the white bird)'

I preferred Jessica le Clerc's portrait of painter David Hart;

Jessica le Clerc's 'Living inside of stories'

And I also preferred Edmund Zu's portrait of Edmund Capon;

Tianli Zu's 'Edmund, your Twomblys are behind you'

Then again I can't resist a nude - not that I'm suggesting it as the winner. One panel of five of Marcus Wills' 'El cabeceo' which celebrates the long marriage of a couple, both doctors, showing both of them dressed and naked.


6 comments:

  1. I agree with you. The Hart portrait is very good. Capon is such a larger than life person; how can his essence be captured at distance? Could a tv character such as Rake be based on a person such as the one in the winning portrait? It is hard to believe for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrew, very few of this year's finalists appealed to me.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the prompt. I went to opening night, and had a quick look around, but then had to leave early so I could catch my flight. Must go back for a proper look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do enjoy going to see the Archibald at the agnsw. I remember it used to coincide with the mardi gras, which was how I managed to see it a few years in a row when I was still excited about seeing half naked men parading down Oxford Street ;-)

    ReplyDelete