Monday 28 September 2015

The old 324 is not what she used to be


I travelled home from the Opera House yesterday after seeing 'Of Thee I Sing' on bus route 324. This bus route between Watsons Bay and Circular Quay has operated for decades; as long as I can remember. It was the last time I will be able to travel this route.

Next Sunday major changes take effect to Sydney's bus routes that operate through the CBD. Buses will no longer run down George Street which is to be prepared for the new light rail system to be introduced there from around 2018.

Bus route 324 doesn't actually run down George Street but the route is being altered as part of the overall changes. There will no longer be any buses operating to Circular Quay from my location. At some point I will either have to change to trains or walk to get that area.

Meanwhile the 324 will in future operate to the new Barangaroo precinct and Walsh Bay. Ironically this change amounts to a balanced plus and minus for me. No longer will I have direct public transport to the Opera House but in future I will have direct public transport to the Sydney Theatre Company.

4 comments:

  1. Operating since the Watson Bay tram line closed down, I suppose. I will have to take a look at the new route. It sounds inconvenient. It must have been the 325 we caught for our visit to Watson's Bay a few years ago. It was a great trip with so many twists and turns. At least you have a station nearby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walsh Bay/Barangaroo seems an odd destination at the moment but once the entire precinct is operational it probably will be quite heavily used.

      Delete
  2. Oh yes, that would a bus before Nifty Nev's huge bus purchase programme in the 80s. Your newest buses are very nice and I don't think we have any as good here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Andrew, the current Sydney bus stock is excellent.

      Delete