Saturday 16 January 2016

From Scotland

It was 39ºc in Sydney so it was a relief to spend time in the cool of the Art Gallery of New South Wales which currently has an exhibition of masterpieces from the National Galleries of Scotland.

Not just Scottish generated or centred work but a range of artwork from those Galleries. It is a wide ranging exhibition with landscapes, portraits and sketches. Something for everyone.

The exhibition is spread over seven rooms;


My personal favourite is this portrait of Lady Agnew of Lochnaw by John Singer Sargent which seems to me to be both periodic and contemporary in its appearance and style;


9 comments:

  1. It is a nice painting. It almost looks like her head has been photo shopped onto the work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have taken a close up photo. It is a common failing of my photography; I don't get close enough.

      Delete
  2. This looks good. Thanks for the tip. Will check out tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. There was quite a variety of art on display Gosia.

      Delete
  4. Good to see a lot of visitors in your shot. For one of Australia's most visited cities, NSW really needs to invest more into making the AGNSW a real showcase in Sydney, especially for Australian art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed there was a display of what appears to be planned extensions to the Gallery. I don't know the status of those plans.

      Delete
  5. I was introduced to Sargent in the late 90s at a special exhibition in Washington, DC, and was enthralled.

    ReplyDelete