Saturday 27 August 2016

The Metropolitan Opera: Tosca

The Metropolitan Opera: Tosca

I have written before about my special affinity for Puccini's opera 'Tosca'. It's particular blend of passion, romance and tragedy seems to strike a chord with gay men. The opera was a favourite of my late Father who used it - and amusingly some of my late Mother's lottery winnings - to expose me to opera for the first time at a tender pre-teenage year.

I have seen the opera live and on film numerous times but this is my first exposure to a cinema screened live stage production from The Metropolitan Opera (New York). As I would expect from that company the production is superb. I was quite emotional by the end.

The police chief Scarpia - much the worse off for his encounter with Tosca in the image above - was performed in this production by Georgian singer George Gagnidze. I didn't know the name previously but his performance was brilliant, matched pretty well by all the principals.

No comments:

Post a Comment